SHAW, GEORGE BERNARD
English dramatist, critic
• "All great truths begin as blasphemies."
• “Beware of the man whose god is in the skies.” (Jon Winokur, The Portable Curmudgeon)
• “Bourgeois morality is largely a system of making cheap virtues a cloak for expensive vices.” (Jon Winokur, The Portable Curmudgeon)
• “The conversion of a savage to Christianity is the conversion of Christianity to savagery.”
• “Cruelty must be whitewashed by a moral excuse, and pretense of reluctance.”
• “Do not do unto others as you would that they should do unto you. Their tastes may not be the same.”
• “The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one.”
• “The golden rule is that there are no golden rules.” (Jon Winokur, The Portable Curmudgeon)
• “Heaven, as conventionally conceived, is a place so inane, so dull, so useless, so miserable, that nobody has ever ventured to describe a whole day in heaven, though plenty of people have described a day at the seaside.” (Jon Winokur, The Portable Curmudgeon)
• “A lifetime of happiness! No man alive could bear it: it would be hell on earth.”
• “Man is the only animal of which I am thoroughly and cravenly afraid...There is no harm in a well-fed lion. It has no ideals, no sect, no party.”
• “Morality consists in suspecting other people of not being legally married.” (Jon Winokur, The Portable Curmudgeon)
• “No man ever believes that the Bible means what it says: He is always convinced that it says what he means.”
• "Old men are dangerous; it doesn't matter to them what is going to happen to the world."
• “A pessimist thinks everybody is as nasty as himself, and hates them for it.” (Jon Winokur, The Portable Curmudgeon)
• “There are scores of thousands of human insects who are ready at a moment’s notice to reveal the Will of God on every possible subject.” (Jon Winokur, The Portable Curmudgeon)
• “There is only one religion, though there are a hundred versions of it.”
• “Why should we take advice on sex from the pope? If he knows anything about it, he shouldn't.”
Today is George Bernard Shaw's Birthday.
He was born 153 years ago on July 26, 1856.