01 December 2012

Silent Monk’s Hallelujah Chorus

Despite my atheism, I do appreciate some holiday music. However, when I was in the Junior Choir and then the teenaged-girls' Chapel Choir at my church (when I was a closet skeptic) we performed the Hallelujah Chorus every year. After countless rehearsals year after year, the music used to make me cringe. But I finally am to the point that I can stand listening to it once a season, then I'm done for the year.

This video presents a very clever rendition of it. (I suggest changing to full-screen mode.) I actually laughed so hard I had tears rolling down my cheeks. It made me realize that I might not have been so quick to shun my parents' Christian religion if there had been a little more laughter and a lot less imposed shame and guilt by the church and my parents. I probably would have ended up non-religious anyway, but I might have had more motivation to stick around longer than I did.

1 comment:

Snowbrush said...

I guess those guys were as sick of hearing it as you used to be after all the practice they had to do. I can't sing so good, hate doing things as a part of a group, and I can't pronounce the word hallelujah (which is probably why I'm an atheist) so my choral career never really go off the ground.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...